I had a long day at rehab on Thursday when I was delivered 2 hours early by Arianne on her way south. I set myself up in the cafe with my computer and coffee and with a hospital wifi code I did lots of work digitising diaries and keeping up with email etc.
On Friday I had another long day with a trip to Rauri and Janice at Berry with Karen and Alastair. Not much walking involved as we sat chatting and eating and sipping tea all day. However, I did achieve 7000 steps, my second highest post op. count. It was certainly a lovely day together in the warm lounge room with their two tiny grand boys.
By far my biggest day was yesterday (at just over 10000 steps).
Ellen drove the boys and I to Underhill after her early morning run and then a physio appointment for her.
We arrived to find Geoff et al. already there and the kettle boiled. This is the first time Ellen and the boys have been down in many years so they were impressed by the new roof and the changes that have been made.
Luke's very first job was to annihilate a termite mound. Much energy was spent in the process.
Ivy was so hungry she had early lunch of rice dinner even before the tablecloths were on the table.
Alex's choice of activity was to make damper so he and Ivy had a wonderful time creating the dough. Geoff decided that it could be made in the targine and then cooked on the grill plate of the chimnea. This was a very successful venture and we all enjoyed a slice of damper with butter and golden syrup as soon as it was cooked. It was certainly a perfect damper! Thank you Alex.
Meanwhile Luke had a great time playing with Heather. The boys are both really great with the two little girls.
Luke's choice of activity was fishing but because it was so cold there were no active fish or yabbies so we "fished" for metal with the super magnet. All the kids got involved in this activity and a lot of metal bits and pieces were found in the fire ash we had dumped on the dam wall on an earlier visit. Thanks for finding so much Luke!
Then there was the birthday lunch for all three boys, Geoff, Alex and Luke.
Of course Ponyo did not miss out as she knows just who to watch.
Ellen had made quiche and salad and a very sweet caramel cake topped with honeycomb and maltesers. I even remembered to take down candles but unfortunately it was so windy the birthday song had to be sung very quickly and they were all out by the time to blow them out came.
Nevertheless, the boys loved their birthday lunch and except for Geoff's cold it was a great get-together.
The trip home was uneventful. Both on the way down and the way back we listened to The Hobbit which brought back memories of long trips with Surrey and our kids years ago when I would read books to the family both in the car (on straight roads) and as we settled in for the night. The Hobbit was one such book.
Once back home we all met up at mine for a fish and chips dinner to top off the birthday. Arianne was back in Sydney too so was able to join in the celebration. What a fantastic but long day we had all had.
Happy Birthday boys!
The world is ever changing, leading us down new paths, in new directions. We can allow the past to guide us forward but turning back is not an option. While Surrey's loss has left a profound sadness and emptiness in my world I am excited about my new adventures. Follow me here on my journey.












No comments:
Post a Comment