Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Getting Stronger

It is now nearly 5 weeks post surgery and I am improving every day. The hydrotherapy and the gym sessions at the hospital are wonderful. These are supported by the hour of exercises I am doing in two sessions at home each day and any tiny walks or tours of the garden I am doing.

From day 3 post surgery I have been wearing my Fitbit because I wanted to see just how many steps I was doing and thought watching the graph go up would be interesting. Below is my graph for the first 4 weeks.

Prior to surgery, even on painful days I was usually doing 10000 steps each day so I am really pleased with my progress towards that goal now. I am even progressing on my sit-stand fitness measure. I can now do 10 in 22 seconds.

I think the 3xPs of rehab are worth keeping in mind... patience, persistence and patience. I will try.

I have not had any paracetamol this week but find the cold weather is really affecting my muscles and I get very stiff. I wear thermal long johns in front of TV as I am not allowed to bend down far enough to light the heater or turn it off again. I do have some small oil-filled heaters hidden away and tonight I might ask Arianne and Zoe to get them out for me so the front of the house is not quite so icy.

I am now only using a walking stick when I go out and even then it is usually folded in my bag. I really only need it there to tell others that I am slow and sometimes need extra time for moving. I'll probably carry it in my bag for a few weeks yet just in case.

As Arianne and Zoe are both staying tonight they are also on dinner duty so that will be a real treat.

No comments: